As one of the common blue screen errors of Windows, a driver overran stack buffer indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer, and your PC will shut down and restart automatically. This blue screen error looks like the following image.
The DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER might appear for various factors including overclocking, system files error, incompatible peripherals,s and so on. This error might come forth unexpectedly and bring other problems for your Windows PC. Fortunately, you can fix it by yourself through the solutions provided below.
Tip: To avoid any data loss, make a backup is necessary before fixing this blue screen error. You can choose to back up date and even the operating system. Here is a simple guide for you.
Solution 1: Update Your Windows
Both your hardware and software can lead to BSOD errors including DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, but Windows updates can fix most of the known errors.
Commonly, your windows will check, download and install updates automatically. However, some updates might not be installed for odd reasons, so you’d better check Windows update manually.
Just open Windows Settings and click on Update & security. In the Windows Update section, click Check for updates in the right pane.
Once any available updates are checked, your Windows will install them automatically. When Windows finishes installing the latest updates, please restart your computer to check whether the error is fixed.
Solution 2: Run Blue Screen Troubleshooter
Windows Troubleshooter is a built-in tool used to deal with various system errors. As for BOSD errors, there is a Blue Screen troubleshooter.
- Step 1: Open Windows Settings and go ahead to Update & Security.
- Step 2: Switch to Troubleshoot in the left pane.
- Step 3: Locate and click Blue Screen in the right pane, and then click Run the troubleshooter.
The tool will start detecting problems. If any problems are checked, just follow the onscreen instructions to complete the troubleshooting.
Solution 3: Perform SFC Scan
As the system file is one of the factors causing this error, another feasible way to fix it is by performing an SFC scan. This tool can check corrupted system files and replace them with normal ones.
Follow the steps below to run the SFC scan:
- Step 1: Run Command Prompt. Input the command SFC/scan now and press Enter.
- Step 2: After the scanning process is finished, restart the PC to see if the error is fixed.
- Step 3: If the error still exists, you need to run the DISM command to repair the system image. In Command Prompt, type command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore Health and press Enter.
- Step 4: When the scanning is completed, restart your PC and perform the SFC scan again.
In this way, the corrupted system files should be repaired and your computer should work smoothly.
Solution 4: Check Your Hard Drive
DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER can also appear if the Master Boot Record (MBR) or the file system is corrupted on your hard drive. To remove this error in this case, you need to fix MBR and check your file system.
You can choose to use Windows built-in tool Command Prompt or a third-party program. The specific steps for both tools are provided below.
#1 Use Command Prompt
You need to run Command Prompt in Advanced Startup options without normally running your computer. Here are detailed tutorials.
- Step 1: Restart your computer while holding the Shift key to enter Advanced Startup.
- Step 2: Choose Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options. When you get the following interface, choose Command Prompt.
- Step 3: Input the following commands and press Enter key after each to fix MBR:
- bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
- bootrec.exe /fixmbr
- bootrec.exe /fixboot
- step 4: To check the file system of your hard drive, you need to run chkdsk command as well. Just enter chkdsk /r *: (* refers to the drive letter of the specific partition for which you want to check the file system) and press Enter.
Note: Please make sure that the selected partition has a drive letter, or this command will fail to work on this partition.
- Step 5: Run chkdsk command for every partition. Then, restart your computer to check if the issue is removed.
#2 Use MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard provides a Check File System feature that can help you resolve DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER.
You need to use the Bootable Media Builder of MiniTool Partition Wizard since your computer cannot boot.
- Step 1: Install and register the application on a normally running computer to get its main interface.
- Step 2: Click the Bootable Media icon to create a bootable disc.
- Step 3: Boot the problem from the bootable disc by setting it as the first boot device. Then, enter the main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Step 4: Select the hard drive whose MBR is corrupted and choose Rebuild MBR for the left pane. Alternatively, you can right-click the drive and choose Rebuild MBR from the context menu.
- Step 5: Click Apply button to perform the pending operation.
- Step 6: Now, select a partition and choose Check File System from the left pane, or right-click it and select the feature from the context menu.
- Step 7: Choose Check & fix detected errors and click Start.
- Step 8: After the process is completed, restart your computer from your local disk. The error should be fixed completely if it’s caused by a corrupted file system or MBR.
Solution 5: Run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
The faulty memory module can also cause blue screen errors. You can check memory errors using Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
To open this tool, press Windows + R to open the Run window, and type mdsched.exe and click OK. After saving your work, click Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
This operation will restart your Windows and start checking for memory module errors. Then, just wait until the process is completed.
Hope the solutions introduced in this post can help you easily fix DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER. To get more details of and solutions to this BOSD error, you can check this post.
- Decentralized Application Functionality: Are DApps Genuinely Worth It?
- Empowering Business Success: The Role of Cognitive and Psychometric Assessments
- Professional Tips On How To Organize a Dressing Room
- 10 Most Effective Customer Acquisition Strategies 2023
- Robotic Process Automation: What It Means to Businesses in 2024