You are in the right place to know how to ship hazardous materials by air, sea, rail, and road. Though they are dangerous, many substances are essential for daily life. It includes petrol, diesel, paints, many hazardous chemicals, and others. Hence their shipment from one country to another and from one state to another is unavoidable. Only the best hazmat warehousing will help to store these hazardous chemicals during their transportation worldwide safely.
So, check out how you ship hazardous chemicals if you have or work in a warehouse to avoid accidents and be safe.
Table of Contents
What are the regulations for shipping hazardous substances?
Upon the recommendations of the UN or United Nations, each country has severe rules and regulations for shipping hazardous substances. There are many Federal rules in the US, and many states have separate regulations. Following these regulations is mandatory for shipping hazardous chemicals known as hazmat in the US. A few of them include road, water, and air include.
- DOT or Department of Transportation and Homeland Security have issued many regulations under Title 49 CFR or Code of Federal Regulations addressing key protocols to prepare, handle and ship hazmat.
- IMDG or International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code provides enough regulations for shipping goods on water accepted as international guidelines for use primarily in international shipping of hazmat
- ICAO or International Civil Aviation Organization standardizes many safety procedures for shipping hazmat by air and IATA or International Air Transport Association DGR or dangerous goods regulations.
What are the issues for non-compliance with regulations to ship hazardous substances?
Many governments worldwide impose huge fines and even closure of hazmat transporting and warehousing companies failing to comply with the regulations. It is because of the dangerous nature of hazmat to cause massive damages by fire accidents and others. DOT imposes six-figure fines for those breaking the rules and regulations while shipping hazmat in the US. Under 49 CFR Part C, the Federal law imposes a penalty of 77,114 dollars for each violation and may go up to 179,933 for violations causing death and serious injury or illnesses. And for repeated violations, Federal laws can even ban companies from shipping hazmat.
Top ways for hazardous shipping substances safely
It is now time for you to know the top ways for shipping hazardous substances safely. A few of the ways include.
- Training is essential for air transport of hazmat updating as ICAO requires training for every two years, and for other transports, 49 CFR in the US requires training every three years.
- Use only certified and trained staff for handling hazardous substances in warehouses and during transit in air, water or road.
- It is essential for having proper labelling, marking and placarding with warnings and all other information like classifications, weight, composition, the ID number of the hazardous substances while shipping them.
- Follow all the rules for proper packaging of hazmats like drums made of aluminium, steel or other for dangerous liquids, and others.
- Check for all the updates in the rules and regulations for complying correctly without any let outs to avoid hefty fines and other legal issues.
- Should have all documentation including SDS or Safety Data Sheet that shows how dangerous is the shipping hazmat along with the details of the hazard class, UN identification number, shipper name, packaging group and others
- Use the best hazmat company with enough experience and expertise in handling, storing, and transporting hazardous substances to have peace of mind.
Only the best asset-based 3PL company will have the best hazmat warehousing for storing hazardous substances at many places during their shipment worldwide.