Many employees perform the same duties every day. While going to work, no one expects to get injured. However, injuries are very common. Everyone can get injured in a split second, and injuries can range from a minor scratch to a life-changing condition.
One of the common injuries is slip and fall. Whether you tripped over something or walked over a wet floor, you could easily find yourself lying on your back, without any strength to move or get back on your feet. People underestimate injuries obtained from a slip and fall accident, but these can be quite complicated injuries and affect a person’s future.
If you got injured in the workplace, you may be eligible to file for workers’ compensation. Take the following these steps to ensure that you are eligible to file a claim in no time:
- Let your supervisor know of your injury (you have 30 days from the moment of the injury to notify your superiors)
- Ask for a list of appointed doctors before going to the hospital (if you visit your own doctor or someone else, you may have to pay for your own medical costs)
- Get treated for your injuries
- Speak with a knowledgeable attorney
If you do not have an attorney in mind, be sure to consult with our Workers Compensation Lawyers in Los Angeles today. Ask for a free consultation, and receive a free evaluation.
The Right To Receive Worker’s Compensation Benefits
Almost every employee in California is entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits as long as he or she got injured while performing their work duties. Even if the employee got injured outside of work, he or she may be entitled to work comp benefits as long as they were performing job duties (driving to a meeting, delivering a package, transporting goods).
Keep in mind that to receive workers’ compensation benefits, you have to follow certain procedures. Many people have tried to fake injuries recently, and Worker compensation is a hot topic at the moment. The Workers Compensation Administration will take everything into consideration before reviewing your claim.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you lose your benefits, you will be left to cope alone with all the new bills and problems that you will encounter while dealing with your new injuries and conditions, and all that while unemployed or unable to return to work. Without income, things will be extremely difficult to manage.
The Importance of an Attorney
Without an attorney, your chances of securing workers’ compensation benefits are roughly 35 percent. Yes, you will have problems securing the benefits on your own. The reason is simple: there are just too many financial pitfalls, and the process is extremely complicated and exhausting. If you fail to submit one important document or fail to mention one important thing about your injury, you could lose it all. That is why you should hire an attorney, someone who knows how to handle the process and to see your claim successful. Someone like our Los Angeles Workers Compensation Lawyers; with their skills and experience, you will be just one step away from securing your worker’s compensation benefits. Be sure to give us a call today and schedule your free initial consultation.
Note: Our attorneys work on contingency, meaning that you have nothing to lose. If your case is successful, you will be charged for the attorney’s services (upon receiving your benefits, not before that). At the same time, if your claim is unsuccessful, you will not be charged anything for legal services.
Average Amount of Slip and Fall Benefits
The average cost of a slip and fall is anywhere between $30,000 and $48,000, depending on your injury. However, the entire benefits include other things, such as:
- Your medical costs: these tend to be pretty high, especially if you require surgery (or more than one), house care and walking aid. Keep in mind that work comp benefits include your medical costs for the injuries and conditions obtained from the accident, as well as any costs associated with those injuries that will come in the future.
- Your lost wages: as you will not be able to return to work for a certain amount of time, you will lose wages and therefore, be left without an income. Work comp benefits will give you back 2/3 of all your lost wages. If you missed 60 days of work, you will be able to receive wages for 40 days of work.
- Disability benefits: in case your accident caused you to become disabled in any way, depending on your disability, you could receive additional benefits. The more severe the disability, the more money you will receive through benefits.
When everything is taken into consideration, the total sum of worker’s compensation benefits can be quite substantial. Be sure to keep that in mind before you decide whether or not you should hire an attorney. And before you decide, see if it is worth risking everything. Call Los Angeles Workers Compensation Lawyers when you are ready to file a claim and double your odds of success.
Filing a Work Comp Claim
You have up to two years from the moment of your accident to file a worker’s compensation claim. Once you are ready, speak with your attorney and get to business. Normally, it is recommended to file a claim anywhere within the first year (the sooner you file a claim, the faster you will receive your benefits). However, if your injury prevents you from doing so, take some time to heal and do it before time runs out.
Our Workers Compensation Lawyers in Los Angeles will collect all the needed information and documents, and file a claim on your behalf. After that, the waiting game begins.
Note that even if your initial claim is denied, an attorney can file an appeal. It is another important reason to have an attorney by your side, to guide you through the process and to fight for your best interests.